Creativity is something we all use in some form, but many believe they aren’t creative. But the creative mind can be developed. The best way to do that is through practice. The more you do the things, regularly, that flex your creative muscle, the more you will develop a natural ability to be creative.
Developing your creative muscles helps reduce stress and improve your problem-solving ability. Begin with these 10 steps to develop and enhance your creativity.
1. Be mindful and observe what others are doing around you. The way we see our surroundings and our environment helps build our creativity. Notice and appreciate everything and everyone around you. This opens your mind to new possibilities while helping you build on a collection of experiences to draw from for inspiration.
2. Be willing to take risks in order to develop your creative skills. While you will fail, you will be boosting your creativity and building skills you can use later. The point is you get up and keep trying.
3. Every time you make progress with using your creativity, you are building your confidence. Reward yourself for your creativity.
When you approach a problem remember there are multiple solutions. Look for a variety of solutions instead of going with your first one. This helps build problem-solving skills and creative thinking skills.
4. Start to keep a creativity journal. Use it to keep track of your creative process and any ideas you come up with. Go back and reflect on what you have accomplished. Use it to try to find other solutions to any problems you may have solved already.
5. Use a mind map or flow chart to connect ideas and look for creative answers to any questions you are facing. For the mind map, write down the central topic or word then link the related ideas around the center word. This gives you a visual for seeing ideas and how they are linked. The flow chart can be used to track what needs to happen when in a project or event. They can also be used to visualize the final product and what needs to happen to get to that finished product.
6. Develop your creativity by changing your environment. This can as simple as clearing your desk, painting your walls or moving your furniture. Or you can try taking your laptop to work in a different setting such as a restaurant or park.
7. Fight your fear of failing. If you fear you will make a huge mistake or fail when you try doing something new, it can keep you paralyzed from being creative. Mistakes are always going to happen. The trick is to not give up and to learn from them.
8. Get out of your comfort zone and try new things. Do this on a regular basis to develop your creativity. Changing things and doing things outside your comfort zone boosts creativity. Start with something small if you aren’t ready to rock climb a mountain cliff.
9. Take time to daydream and let your mind wander. Daydreaming leads to creative problem-solving while boosting your creative thinking. As it wanders, your mind accesses memories and emotions as well as those random bits of knowledge you’ve forgotten. Focus on the area you are wanting inspiration in.
10. Practice is key when it comes to developing your creativity. If you don’t do your activities, regularly, whether they are mental or physical, your creativity fades. There are many ways to develop your creativity. Just find the ones that work for you.
As you begin to implement more creativity into your life let me suggest a few essential oils to diffuse or apply as you begin to tackle these thoughts and unravel your creative brain.
Envision: This delightful essential oil blend combines Black Spruce, Geranium, Orange, Lavender, Sage, and Rose for an aroma that stimulates feelings of intuitive creativity and resourcefulness, encouraging renewed faith in visualizing the future and awakening your inner drive necessary to achieve your dreams.
Valor: Features Frankincense, Black Spruce, Blue Tansy, Camphor Wood, and Geranium. Helps promote feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem in the face of adversity.
Peace and Calming II: This essential oil blend is a combination of Tangerine, Orange, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, German Chamomile, Vetiver, Cistus, Bergamot, Cassia, Davana, and Northern Lights Black Spruce that provides a moment of tranquility in your everyday life. Gives a feeling of well-being and overall calmness.
Lavender: The most universal oil and has a tranquil aroma that is soothing to the senses.
Not in the diffusing mood? Then you can always strike a warm vibe with a candle. Some days I am crunchy and there are days when I am not. You set your own vibe.